Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sighting In The Turkey Gun

Aiming down the barrel at the gobbler's neck, with only the bead for reference, worked for years.  With today's tighter chokes and advanced shells, a scope or red dot sight can increase your maximum harvesting range.  I used to think I was taking a chance at 40 yards, yet the photo below proves otherwise.

My turkey gun, and the gun that I waterfowl, dove, and rabbit hunt with, sports a red dot sight and a Kicks brand choke.  At almost 40$ a box, Winchester extended range seems outrageous, yet two shots at the bench and two shots at turkeys per year does not break the bank.  It produces a great pattern on paper and also puts birds down in the field, yet most importantly it gives me the confidence to pull the trigger on that seemingly long 40 yard shot.
Our simple gun range- card table, box, and chair


No comments:

Post a Comment